Re: No education (was purity)

Do we need a debian-offtopic mailing list?

Kai Henningsen wrote:
  >With regard to ethics, there is good reason to believe that there actually
  >is no better way - different people will have different reasons for liking
  >or disliking those ideas, but as far as I can see, the important
  >difference between ethics and physics is that there simply is no universal
  >truth you could find out about. (Note that this sentence can be
  >interpretedtwo ways - either there is no truth, or else you can't find out
  >about it. Let me point out that this difference is of absolutely no
  >practical importance at all.)

This is in itself a matter of dispute.  Since I am a Christian, I assert the
contrary, of course.

  >Now, without an universal truth, what is the basis for deciding which
  >ideas to adopt and which to reject?
  >
  >It's all pretty much arbitrary.
  >
  >Personally, I think that there are two general positions here, one being
  >"good is what I want", the other "good is what minimizes social conflict",
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This makes the implicit assumption that minimising conflict is good, which
is in itself an absolute moral judgment. (Unless you produce some kind of
utilitarian backing for it, in which case it reduces in the end to 'good is
what I want'.)

If you have no moral absolute, there is NO basis for morality; whatever you
claim as moral reduces in the end to self-interest.  If my self-interest
differs from yours, why should I prefer yours to mine?  All systems of
moral philosophy tinker around with this problem but cannot solve it, because
it has no solution.

Unsolicited email advertisements are not welcome; any person sending
such will be invoiced for telephone time used in downloading together
with a £25 administration charge.