Re: Can we learn something from RH 5.0?

> Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> wrote:
>
> : Morover, we already not first in libc6 transition. Let's learn the
> : problems of Redhat 5.0 and take them into account to come up with
> : more stable release. (And with already much bigger variety of
> : available software). Meanwhile, providing libc5 upgrades will prevent
> : us from loosing users.
>
> I am just curious: are there any problems with RedHat 5.0? I haven't
> heard anything about RH 5.0 after its release. Comments anyone?
> Is there anything we can learn from their experience?

Hi.

At the moment I don't know anything from their experience that we could
learn but I know that many people are desperate to install it and see
what is so good about it. I try to persuade them not to do that and having
libc5-upgrades for Debian-1.3.1 would help me a lot in this task :)
The problems I see wih the release after examining their ftp site is that
I bet they don't have fully libc6 system. It is shipped with Metro-X
and I don't beleive it is libc6 compiled (I haven't noticed that new
version of Metro-X on the Metrolink web site). The same thing with
Motif they ship, applixware, etc. I guess only the "base" packages
are converted. I haven't noticed the -altdev stuff, etc.
All "contrib" section (which is not like our contrib, what they have in
contrib are alternatives to the software in their "main" distribution,
we have those alternatives in "main") is most probably libc5 - it is
common to all RedHat releases.

Thanks.

Alex Y.
--