Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 18:25:59 +0800
From: Stephen Hardman <hardguy@CONTINUITY.IT.NET.AU>
To: BUGTRAQ@netspace.org
Subject: debian pppd chatscript

This is a bit old, but someone else noticed this and then it
started happening on my machine.

The default logfile (/var/log/ppp.log) is world readable by default.

--- extract from /var/log/ppp.log ---

Dec 14 16:43:14 gateway chat[362]: ^Mlogin -- got it
Dec 14 16:43:14 gateway chat[362]: send (loginname^M)
Dec 14 16:43:15 gateway chat[362]: expect (word)
Dec 14 16:43:15 gateway chat[362]: : loginname^M
Dec 14 16:43:15 gateway chat[362]: Password -- got it
Dec 14 16:43:15 gateway chat[362]: send (MyPassWoRd^M)

--- end extract ---

So it seems it is not hiding the sent password as it should
do when the password is preceeded by \q in /etc/ppp.chatscript.

       \q     Suppress writing the string to the SYSLOG file. The
              string  ??????  is written to the log in its place.
              (not valid in expect.) -- chat(8)

I should probably send it off to a debian bug/security
list as well... but it's quite relavent here.

This didn't happen until I recently reinstalled Debian.

versions are -
ii  ppp             2.2.0f-23      Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) daemon.
pppd version 2.2 patch level 0
Debian 1.3

My settings are _exactly_ the same, am I missing something?

(Thanks to Andrew McArdle for first pointing it out)

Stephen Hardman
hardguy@it.net.au