Paper Valerie's submitting

This is the paper that Valerie's submitting to Linux Expo and Linux
Kongress.

	Bruce

Speaker Information:

Valerie Gilbert provides public relations and publicity advice to the
Debian project. Ms. Gilbert is also the official spokesperson of Backroads
(http://www.backroads.com), the world's largest active travel company.

Paper Proposal:

Getting Publicity For Your Software

When a software product is written up in a magazine, how does that happen?
Not by accident! Behind the articles you read are press releases, follow-up,
and other aspects of the public relations and publicity business. This talk
includes:

	50 minutes + question and answer period.

How to write a press release
	Giving your release a reason for being: Finding an angle and
	Identifying what makes your product unique and/or of interest
	Structuring your press release
Targeting your press release
	Finding the right outlets
	Finding the right person
Cultivating Relationships
	Maintaining presence without being a pest
	Becoming an ongoing "expert resource" for the media
Resources
	Cheap or free ways to publish your release.
	More expensive methods like the Business Wire.

I'm requesting sponsorship of my travel and lodging expenses. If any of
Bruce Perens' talks are accepted, I'll share a room with him (we're
married).