Re: Berlin project to join SPI

From: Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu>
> I haven't noticed any general principles formulated (clearly, at least)
> like the ones we could formulate for X-Window System.

I agree that the web site is more style than substance, and can put you
off if you have no other exposure to the project. There are some drafts
of "white papers" being worked on, and there's also a core component that
is near release. If you hang out on their mailing list you'll pick up most
of what they are trying to do. They want our help to solidify their
general principles. But remember, Berlin is a "blue-sky" project. It's
not like Debian in that way.

> like always using 24bpp internally. This seems
> a bit naive to me. I myself (not a graphics professional) aware of
> at least 3 ways to handle 24bpp graphics: plain 3 bytes per pixel,
> packed 24-bit graphics, where access is not by bytes but by words, and
> so-called 32bpp when high byte is not used. Which one to use depends
> on the hardware. Xfree86 uses different methods for different drivers,
> for instance.

They are using 8 bits each for R, G, and B. They are also now using
the alpha channel, so you might as well say 32 bits. Their point is that
color-map management, dither, etc. is best left to the device driver and
the rest of the world should work in a full-color space. This is
appropriate for a _next-generation_ window system - even my laptop
supports 24 bits at the full LCD resolution, and you can expect full-color
to be the standard by the time their system would be done.

> I would rather get better relations with Xfree86 team and gain access
> to their alpha-level drivers :)

Of course we can do that, but so far, we don't have anyone who wants to
sign their NDA.

	Thanks