07.28.09

Linus Torvalds’ Attitude Towards Free Software is Not News

Posted in Free/Libre Software, GNU/Linux, GPL, Kernel, Microsoft at 3:24 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Reading a newspaper

Summary: Setting the record straight on news that’s not news

SEVERAL years ago, Microsoft was accused of spreading the false rumour that Linux had been derived from Minix. It was a lie, and some people still think it is true.

Microsoft’s loadable module for Linux [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6] has demonstrated the strengths of the GPL, but Linus Torvalds continues to disrespect those who made the GPL possible. This is not news. FSF disdain from Torvalds has lasted an eternity, yet some people try to characterise his latest interview with Linux Magazine as some sort of change of heart; it’s not. As I pointed out 3 years ago, Torvalds even had a comment deleted for cursing Richard Stallman in Groklaw.

Regarding Microsoft’s loadable module, Free Software Magazine has just written an article explaining why Torvalds’ attitude is wrong.

Torvalds seemed to express indifference to the submission which he dismissed as only being about device drive code. If he looks at it at all it will be after it has been filtered through others, and even then only out of a sense of “morbid curiosity” apparently. The code is concerned with virtualizing GNU/Linux as a guest in Windows. That tells you a lot about Microsoft’s motives. If clients can’t run GNU/Linux on Hyper-V, Windows’ virtualization software, it makes it more likely that they would migrate to wholly free and open source systems running on wholly free and open systems.

Torvalds does the right thing by accepting Microsoft’s code (he hasn’t a choice), but the dismissal of the vigilant as irrational Microsoft Haters© is very unproductive but also very typical.

“Giving the Linus Torvalds Award to the Free Software Foundation is a bit like giving the Han Solo Award to the Rebel Alliance.”

Richard Stallman

1. eet said,

July 28, 2009 at 5:17 am

BTW, were you the one who asked Hubert Figuiere ‘Why did you write Gnote?’

Well, you can read his answer now on his blog: http://www.figuiere.net/hub/blog/?2009/07/27/680-why-i-did-write-gnote

Some quotes:
    [blockquote]I wrote Gnote to answer two questions:

- How can I have Tomboy functionality on my custom openSUSE image I made for my EEE PC, that will fit the 2GB?
    - Is it easy to port a C# application to C++?

For the rest, you all know what happened: the anti-Mono crowd took it as their victory, started FUDing, etc. Barely nobody asked me why I had written that code, compared to the many that actually thought I was supporting their cause.

And if you still think I hate Mono think again. I worked for the company that pushes Mono (and still wish I was)[/blockquote]

To summ it up: Looks like he won’t be mis-used as a figurehead for your dubious cause. Hubert Figuiere is a pragmatist; like Linus; like the overwhelming majority of developers, who happen to be level-headed. Unlike certain ideologists who instead of writing software only tell others what software not to use.

Jose_X Reply:

eet, I think I’m a little cranky today. Don’t mind the tone below.

>> I’m all with Linus on this one. After all I (and you) am running HIS system on my computers, not R. Stallman’s.

If by “his” you mean code over which he owns the copyrights, then I think the Linux I am running has less than 1/10 of 1% that belongs to Linus. [I pulled that number from the air, but keep in mind that would be about 1/1000th. I assume source code lines out of the total. It's an imperfect metric.]

I’m not attacking Linus. I’m speaking for the many that are less in the spotlight than he is.

>> BTW, were you the one who asked Hubert Figuiere ‘Why did you write Gnote?’

The very day of the announcement (or soon thereafter), he had closed discussion on the article quickly, I believe, to keep the anti-mono noise out. [I don't have the link handy]

Since then, I read him (at least once if not twice) commenting in other blogs also with a tone of sympathy towards mono.

I would not be surprised if he is or was under NDA because his remarks appear to be of one that wants to say more than he is saying. [Obviously, I'm just guessing.]

And, changing to C++ likely does not change many important parts of the structure of the app, which means you still can have many significant patent issues. See: http://boycottnovell.com/2009/02/04/the-api-trap-part-1/ .

His “proof of concept” effectively provides some “excuses” to remain with mono.

None of this is news.

>> Unlike certain ideologists who instead of writing software only tell others what software not to use.

The FSF has many developer-contributors. There are many people (even Linux kernel contributors) using the GPLv3 (or at least GPLv2 or later) and disliking Microsoft.

There are people not contributing source code who want to help preserve the system in other ways and believe they are helping by speaking of the threats mono poses.

Maybe the money Ballmer/Gates make is indicative of what one can make when you get aggressive about threats.

zatoichi Reply:

That’s not “guessing”, Jose, that’s “reaching”.

Jose, Hub’s writing in his own blog. With regard to whom could he possibly be under NDA?

eet Reply:

eet, what software has Ballmer or Gates written lately?

As much as Richard Stallmann, I would say. These three are managers and PR-people; just the kind of unconstructive people without whose ‘contributions’ I could live perfectly fine.

About Hubert, Lefty has already said it all.

2. Needs Sunlight said,

July 28, 2009 at 7:53 am

“Really, I’m not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.”
    - Linus Torvalds

eet Reply:

How much better this sounds than the preachy stance of RMS, doesn’t it.

3. zatoichi said,

July 28, 2009 at 8:29 am

Linus Torvalds continues to disrespect those who made the GPL possible.

This is preposterous, Roy, based on the latest interview with Linus, unless you consider the folks on this site, for example, to be “those who made the GPL possible”. I’d like to see the reasoning behind this statement.

4. zatoichi said,

July 28, 2009 at 8:34 am

…what software has Ballmer or Gates written lately?

What software have you written lately, Jose?

(And since I can’t get an answer out of Roy as to whether he “supports the FSF”—leading me to believe the answer is “no”—do you support the FSF, Jose? if so, how? If not, why not?

5. Jose_X said,

July 28, 2009 at 11:12 am

[eet] >> That’s not helping. If it really was about legal risks, you would leave it to the lawyers; this is about Microsoft-hatred and paranoia, nothing else.

Lawyers interpret under the context of law and usually not business strategy or engineering. “Everyone” has access to lawyers, yet many groups come to different conclusions over risks and strategy after consulting their lawyers.

[zatoichi] >> With regard to whom could he possibly be under NDA?

I explained why I considered he might be under NDA. It was a thought. And I did say is or was.

[eet said] >> like the overwhelming majority of developers, who happen to be level-headed. Unlike certain ideologists who instead of writing software only tell others what software not to use.

[I said] >> eet, what software has Ballmer or Gates written lately? You should be on their case for speaking bad about Linux, the GPL, and competitors writing lots of code, etc.

[zatoichi replied] >> What software have you written lately, Jose?

David, you do see the goose/gander connection, right? If people that don’t write software should not be giving advice on software use (as I think eet suggested), then this would apply to Ballmer and Gates as well. Given how much advice and opinions they have given in the past, I would think eet should be hot and heavy on their trail.

I don’t write software frequently. Hope to start that back up in earnest. However, I did write not long ago javascript (tested on firefox only) that took stock brokerage trades in various formats (from various online brokerage firms) and produced a nicely formatted 1040 Schedule D-1. This was created for my needs, so it is missing functionality and generality. It also involved some manual cut-n-paste to get things going.

Whenever/if I get back to that, I would like to clean it up and see what format I’ll convert it to so that other people can use it.

Anyway, you might be making a similar error as eet if you are insinuating that those that don’t write software can’t provide useful opinions or advice.

For example, lawyers don’t usually write software.

6. eet said,

July 28, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Since when do we take the propaganda from Ballmer or Gates as advice in the Linux camp?

No; no, this doesn’t apply. We were talking about who to listen to, and Ballmers and Gates, I THINK, we can rule out…

7. zatoichi said,

July 28, 2009 at 4:09 pm

As surprising as you might find this, I don’t actually take advice from Messrs. Ballmer and Gates on software use. I don’t think too many people take them all that seriously when they talk about the GPL, and—having agreed that there’s nothing wrong with the GPL, after all, and that it’s the right license to use when submitting code to the kernel—they’ll look pretty darned silly if they try to talk smack about it in the future, won’t they?

It’s a free country and people can talk about whatever they like, Jose. But if it’s wrong for ideologists like Ballmer and Gates to tell people what software not to use, then it’s equally wrong for ideologists on the free software side—and even more wrong if you’re serious about “freedom”, since that has to include other people’s freedom to do think you don’t happen to enjoy—to tell people what software not to use.

1. Microsoft GitHub Exposé — Part II — The Campaign Against GPL Compliance and War on Copyleft Enforcement

Microsoft contemplated buying GitHub 7.5 years ago; the goal wasn’t to actually support “Open Source” but to crush it from the inside and that’s what Microsoft has been doing over the past 2.5 years (we have some details from the inside)

2. Links 18/10/2021: Linux 5.15 RC6 and 7 New Stable Kernels

3. [Meme] The Austrian School of Friedrich Rude Liar

With reference to the Austrian School, let’s consider the fact that Friedrich Rude Liar might in fact be standing to personally gain by plundering the EPO‘s staff by demonising them while helping Benoît Battistelli crush them

4. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, October 17, 2021

IRC logs for Sunday, October 17, 2021

5. How (Simple Technical Steps) to Convince Yourself That DuckDuckGo is Just Spyware Connected to Microsoft, Falsely Advertised as 'Privacy'

In recent days we published or republished some bits and pieces about what DuckDuckGo really is; the above reader dropped by to enlighten us and demonstrate just how easy it is to see what DuckDuckGo does even at the client side (with JavaScript); more people need to confront DuckDuckGo over this and warn colleagues/friends/family (there’s more here)

6. Austria's Right-Wing Politicians Displaying Their Arrogance to EPO Examiners

The EPO‘s current regime seems to be serving a money-hungry lobby of corrupt officials and pathological liars; tonight we focus on Austria

7. [Meme] Friedrich Rödler's Increasingly Incomprehensible Debt Quagmire, Years Before EPO Money Was Trafficked Into the Stock Market

As it turns out, numerous members of the Administrative Council of the EPO are abundantly corrupt and greedy; They falsely claim or selfishly pretend there’s a financial crisis and then moan about a "gap" that does not exist (unless one counts the illegal gambling, notably EPOTIF, which they approved), in turn recruiting or resorting to scabs that help improve ‘profit margins’

8. The EPO’s Overseer/Overseen Collusion — Part XV: Et Tu Felix Austria…

Prior to the Benoît Battistelli and António Campinos regime the EPO‘s hard-working staff was slandered by a corrupt Austrian official, Mr. Rödler

9. Links 17/10/2021: Blender 2.93.5, Microsoft Bailouts

10. Links 17/10/2021: GhostBSD 21.10.16 and Mattermost 6.0

11. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, October 16, 2021

IRC logs for Saturday, October 16, 2021

12. [Meme] First Illegally Banning Strikes, Then Illegally Taking Over Courts

The vision of Team Battistelli/Campinos is a hostile takeover of the entire patent system, not just patent offices like the EPO; they’d stop at nothing to get there

13. Portuguese Network of Enablers

Instead of serving Portuguese people or serving thousands of EPO workers (including many who are Portuguese) the delegation from Portugal served the network of Campinos

14. In Picture: After Billions Spent on Marketing, With Vista 11 Hype and Vapourware, No Real Gains for Windows

The very latest figures from Web usage show that it’s hardly even a blip on the radar; Windows continues bleeding to death, not only in servers

15. [Meme] [Teaser] Double-Dipping Friedrich Rödler

As we shall see tomorrow night, the EPO regime was supported by a fair share of corrupt officials inside the Administrative Council

16. The EPO’s Overseer/Overseen Collusion — Part XIV: Battistelli's Iberian Facilitators - Portugal

How illegal “Strike Regulations” and regressive ‘reforms’ at the EPO, empowering Benoît Battistelli to the detriment of the Rule of Law, were ushered in by António Campinos and by Portugal 5 years before Campinos took Battistelli’s seat (and power he had given himself)

17. Links 16/10/2021: SparkyLinux Turns 10 and Sculpt OS 21.10

18. “Facebook Whistleblowers” Aside, It Has Been a Dying Platform for Years, and It's Mentally Perverting the Older Generation

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

19. [Meme] Microsoft Has Always Been About Control Over Others

Hosting by Microsoft means subjugation or a slavery-like relationship; contrary to the current media narrative, Microsoft has long been censoring LinkedIn for China’s autocratic regime; and over at GitHub, as we shall show for months to come, there’s a war on information, a war on women, and gross violations of the law

20. EFF Pushes for Users to Install DuckDuckGo Software After Being Paid to Kill HTTPS Everywhere

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

21. The Reign in Spain

Discussion about the role of Spain in the EPO‘s autocratic regime which violates the rights of EPO staff, including Spanish workers

22. [Meme] Spanish Inquisition

Let it be widely known that Spain played a role in crushing the basic rights of all EPO workers, including hundreds of Spaniards

23. Why You Shouldn’t Use SteamOS, a Really Incompetent GNU/Linux Distribution With Security Pitfalls (Lutris is a Great Alternative)

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

24. IRC Proceedings: Friday, October 15, 2021

IRC logs for Friday, October 15, 2021

25. Links 16/10/2021: Xubuntu 21.10 and DearPyGui 1.0.0

26. DuckDuckGo’s HQ is Smaller Than My Apartment

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

27. Post About Whether Vivaldi is a GPL violation Was Quietly Knifed by the Mods of /r/uBlockOrigin in Reddit

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

28. The EPO’s Overseer/Overseen Collusion — Part XIII: Battistelli's Iberian Facilitators - Spain

The EPO‘s António Campinos is an ‘Academy’ of overt nepotism; what Benoît Battistelli did mostly in France Campinos does in Spain and Portugal, severely harming the international image of these countries

29. From Competitive (Top-Level, High-Calibre, Well-Paid) Jobs to 2,000 Euros a Month -- How the EPO is Becoming a Sweatshop by Patent Examiners' Standards

A longish video about the dreadful situation at the EPO, where staff is being ‘robbed’ and EPO funds get funnelled into some dodgy stock market investments (a clear violation of the institution’s charter)

30. [Meme] Protecting European Patent Courts From EPO 'Mafia'

With flagrant disregard for court rulings (or workarounds to dodge actual compliance) it seems clear that today's EPO management is allergic to justice and to judges; European Patents perish at unprecedented levels in national European courts and it should be kept that way