FTP Server.

Well it be official now...

Since the prime development machine is now master.debian.org
ftp.debian.org AKA bugs[0-8].cps.cmich.edu will be taken offline Feb 1st
to become an oracle server. This is not my choice by any means (It also
happens to be my desk machine) but considering the needs if the
department and the dwindling(SP?) needs of the debian group that this
machine it too large to continue as a web/ftp server. I might be able to
get a 486DX2-66 that might be able to handle a few ftp's but I will also
be losing the drive space. I am sorry that this has to come down to this,
but it would have been nice to be informed. Also I get a 45% packet loss
to master.debian.org and you want to trust the files that cross that link?

Anyway I hope that something comes up soon.....

Also if an ftp server gets overloaded because people are ftp'ing files
from it doesn't it usually mean it is popular?

I am still unimpressed in this whole thing, I have offered machines that
are available on different network segments. I have also offered to help
move files around because I "live" on this machine. I have offered to
automate the upload process. I have mentioned that I would place the
archive into a CVS repository so we could go back a few revisions. But
when I suggested something there was always a reason against it. Someone
else comes along and says hey look lets move this machines life functions
over to another and let the old machine just sit idle serving files. Well
with a budget that is limited around here (ie. no money to replace the
Sun SLC workstations that are dying) when a task is removed from any
machine the machine is redesignated to new duties. In this case what the
machine was doing was suppling a place for debian developers to do
maintenance on the their archives. Take the users off from the machine
this machine goes away.

What I would have liked to see is make ftp.debian.org into
master.debian.org and replace ftp.debian.org with another machine..

But apparently our, dave and myself, insight was not needed to make this
change and the reprocussions of the move were never discussed. Now you
know what they are and most likely there is nothing that can be done to
stop the machine move here. I thank you all again for the fun I have had
over the past two years with the debian project but since this was my
main task I might just as well get off from all the mailing lists and
relax now that a load has been taken off from my shoulders....

Enjoy the last 7hours of this machine....

--
Matthew S. Bailey
107 Emmons Hall

mbailey@cps.cmich.edu

... Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer,
my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any
resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic.
The question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold
them is left as an exercise for the reader.  The question of the
existence of the reader is left as an exercise for the second god
coefficient.  (A discussion of non-orthogonal, non-integral polytheism
is beyond the scope of this article.)