Installation

Hi all.

Well, I've decided to sell my 486dx33 notebook with 9meg ram and before I
did I decided to test the new 1.1 on it - here are my notes:

1. <5> is displayed when installing the base system disks (I've seen this
before  here so that's fine).

2. Lilo failed with a "floating point exception" when trying to install the
kernel onto the hard drive during setup.  However I continued on and made
the boot floppy before rebooting.

3. I've just booted of the debian floppy disk and it waits indefinately at
"VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly."  It doesnt give any other
error, and nothing is frozen - it just wont go beyond that point.

So that's where I'm stuck - cant do a thing.  I tried booting off the
original 1.1 bootdisk and specifying root=/dev/hda1 (hda2 is my swap) and
still it pauses at #3 with the same result.

Apart from that I never got any other errors during the installation
process, but now I'm most definately stuck.

FYI my system is:

"The Professional DX-4000" notebook (not pcmcia)
486dx33 - 9meg ram
120meg ide hard drive (100 on / and 20 on swap)

Well, that's about it.  If anyone else has any bright ideas then I'm willing
to listen :-)

...Karl
--
Karl Ferguson <karl@tower.net.au>                Tel: +61-9-455-3446