Re: Alpha

Mike Neuffer <mike@i-Connect.Net> wrote:
>Their server got drowned and I couldn't up my bit.
>
>I put in another bit for a machine in the next lot which closes
>on Friday. Please do not bit against me if possible. I want to put that
>machine here right beside master, so that developers can build
>ALPHA packages on it.

On another, related note, there was this article in comp.os.linux.misc that
I saw the other day:

From: choward@sh1.ro.com (Chris Howard)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Interest in cheap Alpha Linux systems..
Date: 12 Nov 1996 21:19:52 GMT

Is there interest in cheap alpha Linux systems out there?  I may have
a chance to offer a Alpha 166mhz, 24 meg, 500 meg HD, Ethernet, SCSI 2
TGA graphics, with Alpha Linux installed at a very good price ~$500.  If
I don't have these yet.. just trying to see if it would be worth my
time to get the.

More Info...

166 Mhz Alpha Processor
TGA graphics accelerator(VGA compatable)
24 MB memory
256 KB cache
528 MB, 2.5-inch SCSI hard drive
1 PCI slot
2 PCMCIA slots
2 serial ports
1 parallel port
Ethernet connectors (twisted pair,
Floppy disk drive
SCSI-2 connector
VGA monitor connector
PS/2 keyboard connector
Mouse
Audio jacks

[end article]

Looking at the specs, you'd need to add a keyboard and monitor to it; the
low number of slots is of slight concern, but then, it'd be comparable to
a mid to high-range PPro, I would think. Don't ask me - ask the author of
the original article about it! :-) It might also need more RAM; I'm not
all that familiar with the alpha architecture (even though I have access
to 19 of them here at Monash - sixteen workstations, 3 AlphaServers - I
just use them, I don't maintain them :)