Re: pre/post install scripts and pre-depends

Consider:

I) bash alone (if, while, case, test, $[], |, functions)
II) bash+dd
III) bash+sed

and:

1) coding inputs strangely
2) coding time
3) machine time

A surprising number of scripts can be done with I), without bumping
against 1), 2) or 3).

II) largely eliminates concern 1).  Think "turing machine" or "state
machine".

Very nearly all of the shell-programming pantheon (awk, grep, cut,...) is
syntactic sugar for III.  That largely eliminates concerns 1) and 2).

I arrived at III) as sufficiently powerful/expressive, when writing a
table-driven X terminal /etc/rc* setup (Xkernel, swapless, 100% shared,
readonly, NFS-mounted root filesystem), and trying to minimize the number
of things I'd need to recompile statically.  There was already a static sh
available, so...

For concern 3), it is often possible to just lean on pipes and avoid
while's.  Minimizing exec's makes all the difference in the world, for
shell programming performance.

Cute pseudo-benefit to minizing exec's: this can (relatively often)
result in scripts that run equally well under /bin/sh and /bin/csh,
without preprocessing.

Anyway, IMO install scripts for debian should lean on bash, and the shell
utilities in base, and...  perhaps pre-depend on base.  If ya Gotta go
with something other than bash, why not python or slang?  Or even
#!/usr/bin/awk?