Treasurer Volunteers

Tim Sailer <sailer@bnl.gov> has declared for the position of Treasurer.
He's in N.Y.  We also have the attached mail from Ira Heffan
<heffan@leland.Stanford.EDU>.

Tim and Ira, can you two have a strategy talk? We are starting just
about from zero - need incorporation, possibly 501(c)3, trademarks,
etc.  We have a tricky tax law problem in that we want to give away
software, _and_ be able to take donations from CD manufacturers and
others who sell our software. This is why I am dubious about our prospects
for getting 501(c)3 status.

Tim commented that his lawyer suggested we _do_ go with the 501(c)3,
and then went on to say it had something to do with liability
protection. I think this might be a bit confused - incorporation as a
non-profit would give us the liability protection, and the 501(c)3
status would allow donors to write donations off their taxes. There are
other forms of non-profit incorporation than 501(c)3.

	Thanks

	Bruce

Ira V. Heffan <heffan@leland.Stanford.EDU

--