Re: new maintainers

Bruce said:
> I think we need to set some guidelines for accepting new maintainers.

I think there are probably going to be complaints about Debian becoming
a closed distribution if the guidelines for accepting new maintainers
aren't fairly open.

Here are some ideas:
a) allow new maintainers to upload packages to some site or
distribution which is labelled as 'provisional'.  Then once a month,
or so, let the BoD vote on which of those packages constitute the
most important additions and best packaged packages of those that had
been uploaded.  If the BoD doesn't want to do this, then maybe some
other body could do this.

b) (this won't save any time, but would limit the number of maintainers).
If some package is found to egregiously break Debian policies then
an existing maintainer should lose his privileges.  Some obvious
flaws which come to mind are: no copyright, no author, or inclusion of
ITAR software without notification.

Susan Kleinmann