Re: new maintainers

Christian Meder writes:

> My idea was to learn more about packaging with my small game and then
> to proceed to more complex tasks.

You're welcome to do so. Explanations later on.

> I completely fail to see why somebody who applies for packaging up say
> glibc is less dangerous than somebody who just wants to upload a game.

Ehm, the maintainer of libc has joined the debian project years
ago.  I personally met one of the former maintainer lately.  These
person have worked for the debian project for years.  They have shown
that they can be trusted.

A game is a normal package (opposite from base or required packages).
Every package could - theoretically spoken - introduce critical bugs,
backdoors, trojan horses and the like.  I think that we could trust
maintainers that some of us have spoken to, have met and who have
supported the project for a long time.

> Besides I don't have the impression that Debian can afford to turn
> people away because the whole distribution is based on some people's
> work and I don't think that there are enough maintainers at the moment
> to allow to start turning new maintainers away.

This may be truth.  At least we should not turn any maintainer away
unless (s)he really compromises the project (or tries to).

But, as Debian is the best supported distribution for linux and
as Debian GNU/Linux is used on some important places we really should
make sure that we don't get compromised.

Sorry to say, but we really have to be careful with new maintainers.
It would be very, very bad if we would be compromised by a bad
maintainer we could have avoided.  This could hurt whole project
in a very strong manner.

> PS.: Sorry that my first posting on this list is kind of critical

You're welcome to post other critical things.  Please don't get
the impression that we don't want you to have in our middle to
support Debian GNU/Linux.  Discussion is a good way to learn
more about another person

Best regards and please stay in the Debian project,

	Joey

 /                 Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only /
/          proved it correct, not tried it.  -- Donald E. Knuth /