Splitting Debian into two projects

OK. Here's my attempt to resolve the current Debian battle.

Debian will split into two projects. One will have leadership as
democratic as you like. One will go back to the old benevolent
dictatorship (or non-benevolent if that's how you feel) that we
had until January 8. Which one gets called Debian is not clear to
me at this point, but perhaps Ian Murdock should decide, it's his
name.

I am calling for a group to run the more democratic version of the project.
I nominate the following people for this group, since they seem to be
leaning in this direction. They can have our current constitution to finish
if they like: Dominik Kubla, Martin "Joey" Schulze, Mike Neuffer, Simon
Shapiro. You should form an orgnanizing comittee immediately, and see who
from the present project wishes to work with you.

I will take on the "benevolent dictatorship" version of the project.
This project will be run as a _strictly_ free software project - all
software in the core distribution must be free software, as it more or
less is for Debian today, and non-free and contrib will remain the homes
of things that don't meet our standards. The development model will remain
open, and there will be no core group and no consortium. Just about all of
the plans that we currently have for Debian will continue to operate, and we
will continue to use "dpkg" (although I'd still like to come to a merge on
Linux package formats some day). I don't plan to lead the project forever,
but I plan to pick my successor.

How the projects cooperate (and even _if_ they cooperate) is up to the two
groups. Perhaps the more democratic group would be interested in re-allying
with FSF (not that FSF is in any way democratic as far as I can tell :-) ).

I'd like to hear from the people who _aren't_ interested in participating
in the "benevolent dictatorship" version of the project. I'm assuming the
4 people I mentioned above are in that group. That way, I'll know what
packages I'll need new maintainers for, etc.

I'm really sorry it came to this. I had hoped that we could have a working
democratic organization, but it was much more difficult than I thought.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.