Re: Splitting Debian into two projects

> Consensus isn't democracy though - far from it.  It's just a process,
> and in the end, a decision is made.  Benevolent dictators can use
> consensus to affect their goals.

I'm inclined to go back to this style of leadership. It worked fine for
years.

One problem is that running a democratic organization it's very difficult
to simply tell someone to shut up and make it stick. I think that sometimes
we really need to do that.

> I personally would like to see Bruce run the project - he's been there
> since the beginning.

Not true. Debian zero point something existed when I joined. Ian Murdock
has been there since the beginning, but he just got his first job out of
college and there's no way he can handle that, a new home in a new state,
and running the project too.

> But maybe he's not the guy to do the actual politicking.

I really don't need it. I don't see another candidate yet. I don't think
Dan Quinlan's ready. Brian White is a good technical manager, but he does
not have the dedication to free software that I think is critical for the
job.

> Maybe it's time we started talking about what people's visions, plans,
> and aspirations for the project are.

I think we have to go deeper than this. For example Simon Shapiro told
me today (actually, he was threatening to sue me) that he thought I wanted
to take over free software in order to make money. This seems to be the
conspiracy theory that's going around. It's just nutty, but we have to
get it out of people's heads or get the people where they won't bother
others.

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.