Re: Perl security hole (suid buffer overrun problem in 5.003)

On May 22, Alan Cox wrote

> Can you let me know if you are vulnerable, if you are shipping a fixed
> 5.003 (patch below if you need to fix it) or 5.004 which isnt vulnerable.
> Target date for release is Friday.

The soon to be released Debian 1.3 (which includes a fixed perl 5.003_07)
and the current development tree (which includes perl 5.004) are not
vulnerable.

Debian 1.2 as shipped initially was vulnerable. But the fixed perl
5.003_07 was merged into the 1.2 stable tree as of 1.2.11, on the 22nd of
August 1997. So the current stable tree is not vulnerable either.

People who installed a version of Debian prior to Debian 1.2.11 and haven't
been tracking the stable tree should upgrade their perl packages using the
stable tree at <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/>. If
"dpkg --status perl-suid" reports a version less than 5.003.07-10, you need to
upgrade your perl packages. (Another solution is also available:
"dpkg --remove perl-suid" will remove the offending setuid root perl binary.)

Thanks,

  Christian