Re: RFC: Debian Service Team

schwarz@monet.m.isar.de (Christian Schwarz)  wrote on 01.06.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.96.970601002559.840F-100000@klee>:

[ stable-frozen, new stable all 4 weeks ]

> Any comments?

This doesn't seem to solve the problem of security or other critical bug
fixes. The main problem with these is that they need to be _fast_.

Here's another idea.

Do something like that for ordinary fixes (except I expect there is no
real need for a rigid 4 week schedule); for security fixes or other
critical stuff, do the following:

1. Have a directory, say, stable-newest-security-fixes or something like
that.

2. Put those fixes in that directory; immediately notify the testing
people of this, and have it tested with priority over everything else.

3. After a short delay (the testing people can probably judge best how
long it needs to be), do a new stable release that differs from the last
in only these fixes. All other fixes still go the slow way.

What do you think?

MfG Kai