Versioning the closing of bug reports

I've made this proposal in the "Debian Sercie Team" thread, before,
but it seems to have gotten lost :-)

When a maintainer fixes a bug and releases a new version to 'unstable'
(or 'frozen'), the old, buggy version usually hangs around for quite some
time until the release is moved to 'stable'.  The bug report is then
moved to the fixed section, and deleted after 28 days, although it
may still apply to the current 'stable' release at that time.

This is suboptimal, because

- the same bugreports may be submitted multiple times

- users aren't informed that this bug is known, and that they can
  fix it by upgrading to the newest version

Proposed solution:  introduce versioning in the "done" messages, i.e.
include a header which says "fixed in foobar 1.2-2 and later".  Move these
messages into a special section in the bug database, but don't remove
them altogether until a fixed version has been installed.
--
Thomas Koenig, Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de, ig25@dkauni2.bitnet.
The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double