another intent of Release note for Unix-illiterates

> If we can put something together that sparks the interest of the more
> competent NT sys-admins, while having enough jargon to frighten the plebs,
> then I think that would be perfect --- anyone else want to have a go ?

Here is another intent of Release note for Unix-illiterate people:

Tired of the ever increasing demand for resources of major PC operating
systems, a group of some 200 volunteers (who have mostly never met
face-to-face) have put together a new system targeted to Internet power users.
This system allows people to use even an old 386 PC to take advantage of all
the capabilities of the Internet to its full extent, beyond the more common,
but limited, uses of Web browsing and e-mail reading. Those capabilities
usually need either machines more powerful than a simple PC or a full-featured
PC and a big investment in server software. On the other hand, the new system
scales to any configuration and it runs equally well in high-performance
multiple-CPU hardware.

As they have organized into a not-for-profit entity the price of this system
is 0 if you retrieve it through the Internet or just about the price of
making and distributing a CD-Rom if you buy it from one of the multiple
CD-Rom vendors who offer it. The system is made of 100% free software written
by some computer professionals and CS students who needed more features than
regular PC software offers. Among them we should mention the Free Software
Foundation, another non-profit organization which sponsors the GNU project.
This project is the source of a considerably important amount of the freely
distributable software existent. Another key programmer is Linus Torvalds, a
finnish CS MS-graduate who created the main basic component (the Linux kernel)
while he was a student. Each author keeps the copyright of the part they wrote
but licenses it in a way which allows free use and redistribution of the
program and its source code. This licensing scheme is known as freeware, as
opposed to public domain, in which authors relinquish their copyright.

All this software is available to anyone on the Internet, usually distributed
in separate files. But thanks to the new organization "Software in the Public
Interest" it can be found now as one integrated system, in which all separate
files have been made to cooperate with each other. The name of this integrated
system is Debian GNU/Linux. Some other commercial efforts exist, but
Debian GNU/Linux main distinction is that it is a very high quality,
professional system offered as a non-commercial product.

As an example of the high quality of this system, it was chosen to conduct
some experiments in the US space shuttle. It is also the favorite system
of many computer network administrators around the World because it makes
critical Internet functions like operating Web sites or limiting access to
unwanted network pirates simple, fast and highly customizable while being
one of the most secure (commercial or non-commercial) systems available now.
It also makes a PC behave like more powerful workstations, due to the low
resource needs of the system itself. Other systems leave much less memory
and CPU cycles available for user programs, which makes programs run slower
and less reliably on the same or similar hardware. Besides, the use of the
standard X Window System, the windowing system found on almost any machine
more powerful than a PC or a Mac, brings to PCs programs for which you
previously needed an expensive workstation to run them.

For more information on Debian GNU/Linux please check http://www.debian.org/

[ Comment:
 This note is oriented to DOS/Win people, but it targets the Windows-NT
 potential sysadmin more than it does the dumb DOS/Win95 user. ]

[ Comment 2:
  Grammatical corrections needed. English is my second language ]

Other comments anyone?

Cheers,
    Fernando.