Re: Social contract - last call

sanvila@unex.es (Santiago Vila Doncel)  wrote on 28.06.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.96.970628203121.1410A-100000@cantor.unex.es>:

> Of course, Debian and the FSF are separate entities, and we do not have to
> think the same way they think, but it would be a pity that we will end up
> having a different idea of what free software is, while we consider Debian
> as "son of GNU".

I definitely want Debian to have different ideas of what consists free
software than the FSF. I don't agree with quite a lot of RMS' ideas
(especially his political agenda).

That doesn't mean I go as far as some other people and consider GPL'd code
non-free. I see this more pragmatic: if it's free enough that we can do
what we need to maintain it, can distribute source and binary on any
channel, and everybody can use it, then that's free enough for me.

> Do we really need a "compromise"? I think the *very best* way of
> "encouraging all authors to not restrict any files, source or binary, from
> being modified" would be moving them to non-free if they are not free
> enough. This has already worked in the past with several packages.

This is not a definition of free. It is an explanation of the consequences
of stuff being free (or not).

MfG Kai