Re: Is Your Web Site A Secret?

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I've been thinking about keeping an IP filtering list as a semi-commercial
> project. We could either do it as a fund-raiser for SPI, or outside of SPI.
> It definitely needs doing.

Would it be possible to charge $1 US for a lifetime subscription and then
use a common password that people are not allowed to share?  Perhaps a
new password could be distributed monthly to the members via email.
Actually, couldn't we play some licensing game where we give away the
service to non-commercial subscribers, but companies have to pay $1/year
for a subscription?  I guess doing the whole thing via a private
mailinglist would bypass the problem of individual login names or
passwords.  Wow, can I ramble or what?  It's only 10pm for me, but I'm
practically falling asleeep as I write.  "See" you all tomorrow. :-)

Thanks.  Syrus.