Re: Interesting dpkg issue, plus thoughts...

Part of the problem here is that dpkg-source *has* some important
bugs.  Seperating out which are really bugs and which are bad packages
is a hassle that shouldn't happen; if you could say "if dpkg-source
fails, the package is misconstructed" that would be *wonderful* but
for that to be true, dpkg-source needs to be "beyond reproach", ie. it
has to be *solid*.  It isn't; the 3.3 packages have been out for a
month and it still can't handle them, even though they *are*
correct...  Sure, I haven't had time to implement a fix; I even know
that someone is putting some work on it.  But I believe that
dpkg-source won't be taken seriously as an "arbiter of correctness"
until it gets out of the "nuisance that we use anyway" state.  Brutal,
but dpkg-source is *important to our whole debian way-of-life*.  It's
got to be better than this.