Re: Policy change for "main", "contrib", and "non-free"

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

>    4. The non-US section
>
>    Some programs with cryptographic program code must be stored on the
>    "non-us" server because of export restrictions of the U.S.
>
>    This applies only to packages which contain cryptographic code. A package
>    containing a program with an interface to a cryptographic program or a
>    program that's dynamically linked against a cryptographic library can be
>    distributed if it is capable of running without the cryptography library
>    or program.

IMHO we shouldn't restrict this to crypto restrictions:

bzip is non-US because of a potentially patented algorithm.

/usr/doc/bzip/copyright.gz says:
bzip has the following copyright. Note that there may be other
issues in the USA that may forbid use of this program in the US,
as it uses an arithmetic code as back-end.
There exists a general software patent on arithmetic coding in the
USA and it hasn't been determined whether
 a) this really holds for any arithmetic code
 b) this has any impact on the algorithm used in this program
 c) it covers only commercial use.

So if you're not in the USA, you may use this program without
any restrictions, otherwise I don't know. Note that neither
the author nor I am a lawyer ad do not want to get involved
with the legal issues at hand.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/