Re: Release of 1.3.2?

Hi,
>>"Guy" == Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

Guy> Bruce Perens <bruce@debian.org> writes:
>> inventory seems to rot when we change the version number.

Guy> I still think that argument is bogus.  It stems from the
Guy> assumption that users can't distinguish between a CD which is 99%
Guy> current with one that isn't current at all.  Buy a $5 CD, and
Guy> then ftp a few megs more - big deal.

	We can also help out the CF retailers by only producing the
 1.3 official CD's -- and make it explicit that the point updates are
 meant to be ftp updates for the most part.

	I realize we would like to help our CD retailers, and hence
 our sales, but not at the expense of a technically inferior release
 strategy (updating 1.3.1 in place is bad).

	Not updating the point version, but providing dates is just a
 variation -- then I would want the Septemmber version of the
 1.3 on CD, and not touch the august version. What exactly have we
 bought the CD retailers by keeping the version number constant but
 adding dates to distinguish releases?

	IMHO, we should not restrict point releases for reasons other
 than that stable should mean stable: only security (and possibly
 major functionality fixes) go into stable, but they go in as needed.

	manoj
--
 He hath riches sufficient, who hath enough to be charitable. Sir
 Thomas Browne