Summary: Gartner does not follow own advice whilst attacking Free software using straw men
TECHDIRT has done some fantastic job showing how Gartner is not following its own advice. This is interesting to note now that Gartner analysts throw FUD at Free software. The latest such FUD attack has gotten a reaction from Dana Blankenhorn, who argues that “analysts build open source straw men.” He specifically refers to FUDMeister Brian Prentice [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] and writes:
Open source is also a big enemy of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD), which often defined success in the 1980s. It’s hard to talk about what you might offer when everyone can see what you do offer and add to it if they want.
This may be why straw men have recently become the subjects of choice among analysts like Gartner’s Brian Prentice.
Simon Phipps remarks on the subject as well. Separately, he points to this ludicrous page. As Simon Phipps puts it, “To pass the UK driving test you are expected to be a Microsoft customer.” Likewise, to pass the Gartner test you are expected to be a Gartner customer. Microsoft is one of the biggest customers of Gartner and Bill Gates a major investor in Gartner. Follow the money. █
- Gartner Group Shows Its True Colours — Censors Reporters
- Gartner et al Fixing the Price for the Entire Industry?
- How Jim Allchin, Gartner and Enderle Lied to the Whole World
- IDC, Gartner and Yankee Group’s Latest Press Attack on Customer’s Competitors
- Analyst Firms, Including IDC and Gartner, Named and Shamed for Serving as Microsoft Mouthpieces
- Another Hopeful ‘Prophecy’ From the Gartner Group(‘s Paying Clients)
- Microsoft ‘Bribes’ Mac Bloggers to Slam Apple, Gartner Hosts Google FUD