nathanm on the danger of Java runtime becomes the operating system ..

From: Nathan Myhrvold
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 1996 12:05 PM
To: Bil Gates
Cc: Aaron Contorer
Subject: Java runtime becomes the operating system

From: Bill Gates
Sent: Monday, September 30, 1996 9:36 PM
To: Nathan Myhrvold

I think the risk of Sun really taking the OS franchise away from us is much lower than the risk they cheapen the entire business ..

..

It is a new and uncomfortable feeling to be the incumbent rather then the challenger in one of these battles.

..

The key thing is to come up with something which will be bouyed up by the rising Internet tide. Again, this need not be some super hard technical problem - it is more about being creative and finding an oppurtunity. Here are some examples (none perfect)

- Virtual worlds could be such a thing.

- New ways of doing server apps, or doing net transactions (a la Viper) could be such a thing.

..

If we let Windows decline in its non-web attributes then we will REALLY will be up shit creek.

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_5803.pdf