Re: Ahhh relaxtion again....

> Whats it does is look at mirrored copies of itself to make sure that
> everything is correct. It also has to have certain permissions and
> ownerships of the files so that each file can be read under the security
> model that has already been established.

Bizarre.  I suppose that this might make sense for a commercial server, but
the fundamental model for the Debian web that I have had in my mind is that
the files on the www.debian.org machine(s) should be expected to be dynamic,
and independent of the reference copy of the pages.  Clearly, you're working
from a different model.

It seems to me that it ought to be easy to mirror ftp://master.debian.org/web/
to the root of www.debian.org's httpd's document tree.  But, clearly, I don't
know how your daemon works and how you've configured it or why you've done
what you've done.

> NO. What I can do in master.debian.org's case is give it the ability to
> mirror the files INTO the public user space that it has.

My impression is that much of the web creation mechanism has already moved
to master.  What you propose seems like a step backwards.

Running a busy FTP server can melt a machine.  Running a busy WWW server can
melt a machine.  Being optimistic, we'd like to think that Debian will be so
popular that we melt several of each, right?  :-)

> If I would have known that this sort of arrangement was to be needed I
> would not have hardcoded so much of this information into the server when
> it was installed.

Seems reasonable, but it's unclear to me what motivated you to do what you've
done, and why changing the server config seems like such a hurdle.

> ... Then from this point on I will run a
> local machine internal mirror of the software that will be updated
> weekly. So if anything happens I have a copy to fall back on...

Whatever feels good to you is fine with me.

> I will also be making this secondary drive (not quite yet but will be)
> ext2fs on this freebsd machine this allows for a contingency plan where
> is master.debian.org's drive fails and there happens not to be a
> replacement I will be able to mirror and ship this drive to that location
> for immediate use.

Don't bother.  We have lots of hardware, and master is on one of my normal
backup schedules.  Snagging another disk and reloading from tape is easy.

On the other hand, I certainly consider the redundancy of mirror sites cheap
insurance should a long string of horrible things all go wrong at once.

> I would also like to keep the user accounts on
> ftp.debian.org matching those on master.debian.org so that I can keep
> consistant with the users and if something needs to be fixed then it can be.

I don't understand this, exactly.  You shouldn't need to maintain any user
logins on ftp.debian.org other than your own once the change of model is
implemented.

> Bdale: I need to talk to you more about this... but a little bit of
> redundancy is always benificial :)

I'm in Boston at the FSF conference, and reading mail over a thin wire.  Feel
free to email me directly, but don't expect me to achieve my usual near-
instantaneous response...  :-)  Were I at home, I'd suggest a phone call, but
I won't be generally reachable again until late Tuesday back in Colorado.

> To bad no one knew about
> journey.cps.cmich.edu which was a hot swap machine with ftp.debian.org..
> (that I had spent ungodly hours making work in the last month) Mostly due
> to the netscape episode. But I already formatted the hard drive on that
> machine to load NT on it....

Then why bother mentioning it, and why the song and dance about hardware for
ftp.debian.org?  Your public statements about how you guys shuffle hardware
and so forth have been contradictory, and really confusing.

> Anyway :) I am babling again.....

Yes.  :-)

> Bdale I would really like the username and passwd for the machine :)

I haven't heard from IanM since he told me to initiate the final snapshot of
what was on ftp.debian.org to seed master.debian.org over a week ago.  I'd
feel better about all of this if I heard from him again.  I'll check my
mail again tomorrow night, and take appropriate action.

> Also if CPU is the problem I have plenty of it on my machine in kansas , I
> would be more than willing to run the MX for debian.org through that
> machine so that people can have their mail update in one central spot
> instead of many, This would also help bruce keep the debian-private list
> upto date with the active developers... (maybe first.last@mx.debian.org)
> let me know thoughts or otherwise on this idea......

Let's do one thing at a time.  Lots of folks have offered resources.  I think
it would be wise to spread the workload out some.  However, it's clear to me
that "job one" needs to be getting the master -> ftp mirroring set up so that
we're "back in business".  Once that's done, there's a list of things we can
parse to improve the state of the world...

Bdale