Re: offers of network services &c

Bruce Perens writes ("Re:  offers of network services &c"):
> Actually, I am thinking of taking up your friends offer, which came in
> about 24 hours ago.

That'd be the offer wrt mailing lists, thanks.  Any word on the FTP
site organisation/mirror, &c (that's the one that's a week old now) ?

BTW, I see things change on master occasionally, but it's all rather
opaque to me and I keep having to change mkpackages retrospectively
because it's falling over ...

>   We also have an offer from Anders Crigstrom, and a
> few offers from other sites, including one to do it for "a reasonable
> fee" :-) . The lists are big:

*chuckle*

> I find that a lot of debian-user messages are not immediately deliverable,
> and that there are about 700 messages in my sendmail's outgoing queue
> because of this. Running zmailer would be advisable, I think, David has
> been having good results for it with the linux-*@vger.rutgers.edu lists.
> Also, organizing as a central server and sub-servers for various regions
> would be a good idea.

The central server with sub-servers seems to be working very well
indeed as far as my subscriptions to the various rutgers lists is
going.  The messages come in in nice fast batches from nic.funet.fi,
rather than dribbling in with great difficulty overnight when the UK
academic string is a little damper than usual ...

Zmailer seems to have one problem - it strictly interprets that
ghastly bit of the MIME RFCs which says you have to convert to
quoted-printable any message with an 8bit character if the receiving
MTA doesn't announce 8BITMIME via ESMTP.  The result of
quoted-printable encoding a diff is best left unimagined ...

> As far as my personal role is concerned, I would gladly surrender the role
> of list-server-manager, as I am currently busy writing new software for
> Debian.

*smile*

Ian.