Re: offers of network services &c

Bruce Perens writes:

>Actually, I am thinking of taking up your friends offer, which came
>in about 24 hours ago.

I'm working on the assumption that Bruce will take up this offer and
have been setting up empty lists today.  Let me know reasonably soon.

>We also have an offer from Anders Crigstrom, and a few offers from
>other sites, including one to do it for "a reasonable fee" :-) . The
>lists are big:
>
>    1841    debian-announce/dist
>    923     debian-changes/dist
>    603     debian-user/dist

It's only the high traffic debian-user that concern me.  600 doesn't
sound too bad, I was making estimates based on about twice that and
concluding that it was doable.

If it does get particularly big then we can think about going for
comp.os.linux.debian or something like that.

>    236     debian-hams/dist
>    108     debian-devel/dist
>    60      debian-sparc/dist
>    54      debian-private/dist
>    38      debian-alpha/dist
>    29      debian-68k/dist
>    22      debian-dpkg/dist
>
>I find that a lot of debian-user messages are not immediately
>deliverable, and that there are about 700 messages in my sendmail's
>outgoing queue because of this.

That sounds familiar from the lists we already have here l-)

>Running zmailer would be advisable, I think, David has been having
>good results for it with the linux-*@vger.rutgers.edu lists.

I can investigate this.  Apropos Ian's comments about this, perhaps
zmailer can be hacked to behave more sensibly when given 8 bit data?
Though it's an insoluble problem really - bitter experience suggests
that there are people out there with mail systems that will shaft you
no matter what you do.

(The BOFH in me is urging me to arrange for all mail that isn't 7-bit
clean to be bounced with a nasty message before it gets sent out to
the list.  That'd clean up a lot of problems, but I don't think I'd be
very popular l-)

>Also, organizing as a central server and sub-servers for various
>regions would be a good idea.

AFAIK Majordomo (which is what we have here at present) won't do this
automatically.  It would be a Good Thing to do this, however.

>As far as my personal role is concerned, I would gladly surrender the
>role of list-server-manager, as I am currently busy writing new
>software for Debian.

I'm willing.

--
Richard Kettlewell, ElectricMail Ltd