Re: Guidelines docs on ftp.debian.org.

Dirk Eddelbuettel writes:

>I think we should have a revision field. I see the following advantages
>
>	* consistency as all our package names will look similar; this is
>	  quite a goal for a distribution

As you note below [err, I've deleted it], there's already lots of
inconsistency in version numbering schemes, however.

>	* easier handling for parsing etc

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but I don't see what parsing is
needed.

>	* safer design: I use -revision on debian-only packages because I
>	  know how easy it it to screw in the package *management*, as
>	  opposed to the package *content*. Why should I increase the
>	  version number if the content hasn't changed but only the
>	  packaging?

I don't see why this should be anything other than a per-maintainer
decision.

Yes, I'm opposed to making the revision field compulsory.  If there's
a compelling technical reason for doing so then fair enough, but if
the only reasons are aesthetic then I have to say that it quite
strongly offends my sense of aesthetics - the point being that
different people have different tastes.

ttfn/rjk