Re: Guidelines docs on ftp.debian.org.

  Nikhil>  Yes, fair enough ... but whether the revision field is mandatory
  Nikhil> or optional isn't likely to make that much difference to
  Nikhil> recognition, is it?

I think it does.

  Dirk> We should have version numbers, upstram or intrinsic in the case of
  Dirk> Debian-only packages, followed by a revision field.
  Nikhil>  IYHO? :-)

Whose opinion do you think I represent? My mothers? Of course IMHO.

  Nikhil>    WHY DO WE NEED TO PARSE FILENAMES WHEN DPKG CAN MANAGE WITHOUT
  Nikhil> DOING SO?

I can answer that (even without shouting) quite easily: dpkg isn't the only
program that needs to parse this. Think about dftp for example, or some
scripts that Jane Doe might write for herself on her computer as a perl
exercise. We could of course require a PhD for parsing our numbers...

  Nikhil> If you'd read to the end of Erick's sentence, he pointed out that a
  Nikhil> maintainer could add the optional revision field for just one
  Nikhil> release if necessary and then remove it when the version number
  Nikhil> increases.

No, as David Engel and myself independently answered to Miquel. You should
stick to one, and only one, concept of numbering.

  Dirk> Exactly. It already *is* a revision field. So why is it so difficult
  Dirk> to call a revision field a revision field?
  Nikhil>  NO IT IS NOT A REVISION FIELD!!!

No, even if you shout. I think some four, five years ago I saw a GNU document
that explained what a, b and c are for in their a.b.c numbering.  Ian, to
continue the example, uses his third digit for the meaning of their third
digit: for minor fixes. Revisions, to use another word. Or patchlevels if you
wish. That is the same: changes not being to increase b. But we are splitting
hairs here. You can call those patchlevels if you like, it mounts to the same
concept.

  Nikhil> Look, this is getting heated, and not achieving much.

No, you are heating yourself up. That is different.

I think I made my point now. I would appreciate it if others could join the
debate. Maybe we could even have a "poll" or a "vote"?

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd