FYI: H.J. Lu on debian

Just for your information:

-- begin included article --
>From hjl@gnu.ai.mit.edu Wed Mar  6 15:35:16 MET 1996
Article: 99482 of comp.os.linux.misc
From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Newsgroups: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: RPM and Linux package-install formats (was Re: Red Hat's "Modified GPL Software License")
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 08:47:14 -0800

Bill Gribble wrote:

> Evan Leibovitch <evan@telly.telly.org> writes:
> > Have there been efforts to standardize on a single method of
> > installing packages?
>
> I don't know about `standardizing', but the Debian Linux distribution
> has a really nice package tool called dpkg which is The Right Thing

I like Debian a lot. It was too bad that when I suggested them
to go ELF directly more than two years ago, I was told to take
a hike :-(. Until recently, Debian didn't do very well in ELF.
But I like it so much that I spent two days to install Debian
on my machine and converted it to ELF. I think it may not be too
late for Debian to make an ELF version. But I may be wrong on
them again. RedHat does have a very good product. But I just
happen to like Debian better. It is a shame to see Debian disappear
like SLS before it even shows up.

May I say this to Debian? Please get the ELF version of Debian out of
door ASAP before doing anything else. Otherwise, it may be too late
for Debian.

H.J.

-- end included article --
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,