Re: Guidelines docs on ftp.debian.org.

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Bill Mitchell wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Nikhil Nair wrote:
> > >   How should an automated distribution maintenance script decide?
> >
> > Fair point, but isn't that why it's compulsory to upload a .changes file
> > as well?  Surely that will contain the fields in a more friendly format?
>
> Ok then, how should an automated changes file maker decide?

I was under the impression that it would use the control file, by using
dpkg-deb ... I haven't been paying much attention to those details,
though, so I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

> > When it comes to dftp &c, files would be in the right directory by that
> > time wouldn't they, so the .ppc thing wouldn't be a problem ...
>
> This sounds like we're considering placing restrictions on what
> directories the files are required to reside in when the maintainer
> invokes the automated changes file maker.

Oops!  That isn't much of an argument, is it? :-)  Sorry, obviously my
misunderstanding - I thought the binaries for different architectures
were *required* to be in the appropriate tree - isn't this the case?

Sorry, I think I may be a bit out of my depth here ....  Actually I don't
feel particularly strongly either way, I'm just trying to work out
exactly what the two sides of the argument are ...

What do other people (Bruce, Ian J., Carl &c) think?

Nikhil.