Re: Guidelines docs on ftp.debian.org.

Bill Mitchell writes ("Re: Guidelines docs on ftp.debian.org."):
> On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Nikhil Nair wrote:
> > Do upstream version numbers ever contain `-' chars?
>
> Upstream package names and version numbers can, of course, contain
> whatever the upstream maintainer puts in them.  My understanding
> is thay need to be massaged by the debian maintainer so that
> they conform with the following:
>
>     <name>-<upstream-version>-<debian-revision>-<extension>

`They' ?  I presume you mean filenames.  If so, such a structure for
filenames hasn't explicitly been mandated.  In fact, there is no
unambiguous mapping from filenames to package and version.

>    name:              no restriction
>    upstream-version:  no '-' chars allowed (probably transliterate to '_')
>    debian-revision:   no '-' or '.' chars allowed
>    extension:         no '-' chars allowed

This has not been a requirement.

The requirements are set out in the Guidelines, which
 - describe the package name and version field in the section on
   control files;
 - give a list of allowed characters in package names;
 - say that the upstream version should be changed as little as
   possible, modulo sorting correctly;
 - say that the debian revision should not contain hyphens and
 - say that the various debian.rules targets should create
    <package>-<version>.deb
    <package>-<version>.diff.gz
    <package>-<version>.tar.gz
   for the binary package and the two source components, respectively.
   (The current version appears not to specify that this version is
   the one from the Version field in the control file.)

I still don't understand why dchanges needs to get this kind of thing
out of filenames.

Ian.