Re: Guidelines docs on ftp.debian.org.

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Bill Mitchell wrote:

> I'll start the ball rolling with an example and some questions.
>
>     foo-12-1.23a.ppc.deb
>
>   Is this an i386 package named foo-12, version 1.23a.ppc?
>   Is it a power-pc package named foo-12, version 1.23a?

Hmm ... could it theoretically also have been a ppc package named foo?
Do upstream version numbers ever contain `-' chars?

>   How did you decide?

Thanks Bill, I'm starting to see the point now.

AIUI, having a known (revision field) between two unknowns (version and
extension) [speaking in terms of format] allows us to separate the two ...

However, there are still two approaches here:
   1. Make revisions compulsory, so we know it's a ppc package called
      foo-12;
   2. Make revisions compulsory ONLY for packages with absolutely stupid
      upstream version numbers, like 1.23a.ppc :-).  I think we'd be
      insulting the intelligence of developers if we suggested they
      weren't capable of doing that ... and this wouldn't affect many
      packages, would it? :-)

>   How should an automated distribution maintenance script decide?

Fair point, but isn't that why it's compulsory to upload a .changes file
as well?  Surely that will contain the fields in a more friendly format?
When it comes to dftp &c, files would be in the right directory by that
time wouldn't they, so the .ppc thing wouldn't be a problem ...

Thanks,

Nikhil.