Re: Versions and revisions

  Dirk> [Separate fields] was the case until it the new scheme was announced,
  Dirk> and later imposed, by Ian J.

  Ian>  I did not impose the new scheme.  I suggested it, answered the few
  Ian> questions there were about it, posted another message saying that I
  Ian> proposed to implement it unless there were objections, and (some time
  Ian> later) implemented and announced it.  I don't remember whether Dirk
  Ian> was around when it was discussed and decided on, but one of the
  Ian> relevant messages was reposted by me in January.

Sorry Ian, I expressed that badly. Please read "implemented" where I wrote
"imposed" as you do in fact take care of dpkg and of the Guidelines.

I wrote that in a quick mail which explained that seperate Revisions fields
are now obsolete. Note that the mail was appreciated by Miquel, who was
unaware of this, and that my all my packages conform to the change.

I am in fact very much in favour of a single version string; that's why I
didn't speak up then. What I would like the project to come to is an easily
parseable version strings, which IMHO includes a debian-revision field.

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd