Re: Versions and revisions

Ian J:
+ The removal of the revision field was discussed and agreed in July.  I
+ note in particular that Bill Mitchell seemed quite happy with the
+ idea, apart from one issue (arguments to maintainer scripts) that I
+ answered.

I recall your proposing this, and the discussion period which followed.
I don't recall that there was major comment one way or the other on
the issue at the time (there may have been -- I don't recall any).

Out of curiosity, I checked the debian-devel list logs on the ftp
site, but they don't seem to go back quite this far.  As for my being
"quite happy" with it, I do remember being vaguely uncomfortable with
it, but I think I refrained from offering an objection because I didn't
have any specific substantive issue on which to base an objection and/or
because there were other things going on at the time with which I was
more concerned.  Last July I was in the middle of a major change in my
real-life work responsibilities, and that probably defocused me from
debian for a while.

Bottom line:  I'm pretty sure that I offered no objection, and I may
even have said that I had no objection to offer.  "quite happy"
overstates my feeling about the change, but I may have given that
impression to the list.

Ian, continuing:
[...]  I have better things to do than
+ field a flamewar about a decision taken 7 months ago.

Me too,  I didn't intend to start a flamewar.

+ Furthermore, I object to the following:
+
+ Bill Mitchell suggests that we reinstate the revision field, and says:
+ > However, that probably makes too much sense for us to do it.
+
+ This kind of snide comment is unhelpful, IMO.

Snide:  bogus, sly, malicious.

I honestly don't believe the comment was bogus, but that's a subjective
value judgement.  I didn't intend it as sly or malicious.  It was a
throw-off comment and reflected my feeling of frustration about this.
It was made in a rushed response to something, possibly something you
posted, and came across stronger than I intended. That's my fault.  I
apologize.

+ I find it especially galling that he now has the temerity to say that
+ reversing the earlier decision `makes too much sense for us to do it'
+ when he didn't present his objections to the decision when it was
+ being made.

Galling:  irritating, troublesome, annoying

Admitted.  Again, it came across stronger than I intended, and that's
my fault.  Apologies offered.

Ian, from a separate posting addressing the issue of requiring a
revision field in package file names::
+ David Silber:
+ > 1)  Stylistic preference (based on reason #2).
+ > 2)  Consistency.  [...]
+
+ I'll treat these as one objection.
+
+ I think that it is less consistent to provide a `Debian revision'
+ number for something that has no Debian revisions, because it is less
+ consistent with reality. [...]

I'd disagree.  Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Ian:
+ Manoj Srivastava:
+ >         IMHO, the added consistency and ease of parsing of the package
+ >  name (no, I don't know yet why I need that, but I'd rather have an
+ >  option) are desirable, and a strong argument to the contrary is
+ >  needed _not_ to require the revision field.
+
+ As I've pointed out, it doesn't provided added ease of parsing of
+ filenames (which I presume is what you mean by `package name'),
+ because filenames are not in general parseable anyway.

I think Manoj meant ease of parsing (or, possibly, ability to parse)
the package name out of the name of a file associated with the package
(possibly not the .deb file).  That's what dchanges looses without a
required revision field to regularize the package file naming format
so that the components are parseable.

Ian:
+ Carl Streeter:
+ > I don't know.  On the one hand, it seems like it would be easier to identify
+ > "debian only" packages with -0, and "upstream maintainer maintains debian
+ > package" as generally having -1.
+
+ It's even easier when Debian-only packages have no revision at all, as
+ their version numbers wouldn't contain a hyphen at all (in general the
+ last hyphen separates the revision from the version).  This makes more
+ sense than arbitrarily using a code like `0'.

Is it useful to be able to recognize Debian-only packages by inspecting
their package file names?  If this is useful, is it useful to be
able to do this mechanically?

I don't know the answer to the first question.  If the answer is "no",
the second doesn't arise.

If the answer to both questions is "yes", a package file naming standard
which provides parseable filenames is more useful than one which does not.

+ Bill Mitchell: