Re: Versions and revisions

I said:

> Ian J:
> + The removal of the revision field was discussed and agreed in July.  I
> + note in particular that Bill Mitchell seemed quite happy with the
> + idea, apart from one issue (arguments to maintainer scripts) that I
> + answered.
> [...] As for my being
> "quite happy" with it, I do remember being vaguely uncomfortable with
> it, but I think I refrained from offering an objection because I didn't
> have any specific substantive issue on which to base an objection and/or
> because there were other things going on at the time with which I was
> more concerned. [...]
> Bottom line:  I'm pretty sure that I offered no objection, and I may
> even have said that I had no objection to offer.  "quite happy"
> overstates my feeling about the change, but I may have given that
> impression to the list.

I've been sent a copy of the following quote from a 16 Jul debian-devel
posting I made:

On Sun, 16 Jul 1995, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I therefore propose to modify dpkg in the near future so that:
>  * Only the Version field is considered for version number checking.
>  * If a non-empty Package_Revision or Revision field is encountered
>    its contents are appended to the Version (with a hyphen in-between)
>    and the Revision is discarded.
>[...]
> Does anyone object to the above ?

It gives me a nagging uneasiness, but I don't have a real objection
to it.  The closest thing to a problem with it which occurs to me
is that it might be a bit more difficult to deal with complicated
upgrade situations in package scripts if the script code needed
to distinguish between various possible installed upstream package
versions than if the upstream package version and the debian revision
were available separately.  However, that'd probably not be a killer
(and I don't currently have or expect that situation in any of my
packages anyhow).