Re: Whether Revisions should be required

Ian Jackson writes:

> As I said earlier, I'd like to come to some kind of consensus.

Well, you can count me in on a consensus either way.  I, unfortunately
have very little opinion.

However, I'd like to point out:
Dirk?  Raised the point that it is good to have *one* version string, and have
that be easily parseable to find the debian revision.

Well, so long as package maintainers stick to the convention of using integers
which increase sequentially, it is fairly easy.  Start from the right.  If
you see (in perl regex's) \-\d+$, then the \d+ is your debian revision.
I don't think I've seen an "upstream" package versioned this way, because
no sane person would do that ;)  If there is no such regex, there is no
debian revision and the package is either broken or debian specific.

I've seen 4.9.3-beta3, but that doesn't fit \-\d+$.

Would someone please provide the counterexample which proves me wrong? ;)

--
Carl Streeter                   |  "Etiquette-wise, there is no proper time
streeter@cae.wisc.edu           |    to use the phrase 'It sucks.'" --Dogbert