Re: Help! Where are our ftp sites?

I don't know anything about the status of ftp.debian.org, except that Matt
has commented over the last few days about various changes that are going
on with/near that machine.  All of the changes sounds positive, and none
sounded like they'd result in long outages.

> I first tried 192.6.120.248 (that is master.debian.org):

The machine at that IP address is now called old-master.debian.org.

> Trying to connect to 192.6.120.248...
> Error: Could not connect to 192.6.120.248.
> Reason: No route to host

This I don't understand, I'm logged into it now, must be a transient closer
to you.

> host master.debian.org gives:
>
> master.debian.org       A       206.139.73.161
> master.debian.org       A       192.6.120.248

This is because the debian.org nameservers are advertising the address of the
"new" master, but the NIC hasn't processed the update request yet, and knows
the IP address of the old master since it was an authoritative nameserver for
the zone.  This should be cleared up within 48 hours, if the NIC does their
usual thing.

If I'd really had my act together, we could've moved the primary before we
tried to move the host, so that this 48-72 hour window of address confusion
for master.debian.org didn't happen... unfortunately, I didn't (too bleeping
busy, which is why master is moving in the first place), so my apologies to
everyone until the dust settles.

> 206.139.73.161 does not exist (Authoritative answer)

This should be yielding:

Non-authoritative answer:
161.73.139.206.in-addr.arpa     name = master.debian.org

It works for me...

Bdale