Re: The Super-Ultra-Mega Build Idea

> > I'd suggest restating the mandate.  Whoever takes this on will be
> > re-examining the packaging guidelines and recommending changes to
> > support build-time specification of target architecture,
> > stripped/unstripped executables,
> > (and possibly other matters?).
>
> Let's reduce the scope of this to be only architecture. The unstripped
> executables are a bad idea.

Actually, if we are going to make a global change to the build procedure,
we should take the opportunity to make any other (build-related) changes
at the same time.  I think that perhaps it would behoove us to take a
step back and re-examine the build process to see what we would like to
have when we are done.  Then, we can make one pass through the code and be
done with it.

Also, before we go walling off any options, I think that it should be
possible to build the entire debian tree with unstripped executables (as
a global compile-time option).  Just imagine, we could put a system out on
the Internet on which we would maintain a current set of Debian packages,
recompiled to keep the symbol information.  Many problems might be very
easy to reproduce and trace on such a system.

In fact, if/when the build process lets us easily rebuild everything with
the symbol information intact, I will provide such a machine (but someone
else would [most likely] have to provide connectivity).

> 	Thanks
>
> 	Bruce

(I will not respond to anyone on these topics until after Debian 1.1 is
released -- I have too much to do before then.)

--
  David H. Silber     dhs@firefly.com     Project: Debian Linux (uucpconfig)
  <http://www.access.digex.net/~dhs/>     Wanted:  Spare time.

			     Programmer for hire.