Re: The Super-Ultra-Mega Build Idea

Bruce Perens writes:
 > I don't care at all about the STRIP=YES|NO stuff, but the architecture
 > stuff is important.

Also note that this need not be directly encoded in the makefile to
take affect.  All you need is a small directory at the front of your
with some simple wrappers to disable stripping of executables.

[strip would do nothing, install, ld and gcc would have the -s/--strip
flag removed, etc.  You'd want to add a follow-up phase to check the
binary package in case something slipped through and you wound up with
a stripped binary.]

But when talking about mass recompilation you start running into
bigger issues, like: what version of the tools are needed to build the
package?  [A related question is: what tools were used to build the
package -- and I'm afraid we might have to build some more tools (one
of which might need to get compiled into the kernel) to make this an
easy question to answer.]

So far as I know, we've not been doing any sort of systematic testing
of the source code format.  I'd expect some significant failure rate
as soon as somebody tries to do any sort of systematic
re-compilation.

But most important is getting out 1.1 -- I've got some projects on
hold till 1.1 is out.  Given a decent 1.1 release, we can talk about
multi-architecture support for real.  etc.

Aside: I think we ought to be bumping the debian version number in the
.deb files for packages whose semantics would break when handled by
older versions of dpkg.

--
Raul