DRAFT: Debian's relationship with FSF

Ray Dassen asked for me to release something like this for the web page.
How does this look?

DEBIAN's RELATIONSHIP WITH FSF

This policy came out of recent discussions on Debian's relationship
with the Free Software Foundation.

1. The core of the Debian distribution must be entirely freely
   redistributable software. Non-essential accessories may have
   different licensing terms, but we of course encourage their authors
   to make them freely redistributable.

2. We assert that the GPL is our preferred software license. Other
   licenses that make software freely redistributable are acceptable to
   us.

3. We recognize and honor the contribution of BSD, FSF, independent
   hackers, businesses, schools, students, and people who write
   directly for Debian, and do not place a greater attribution on one
   group than any other.

4. FSF is welcome to participate in Debian as a _peer_ with all other
   Debian contributors and repackagers. An overriding priority will _not_
   be placed on FSF requirements.

5. The name of this distribution is currently "Debian Linux". The name
   may change, but will not contain "GNU" again. The baby GNU logo will
   be removed from our materials. FSF is welcome to rename their
   own version of Debian to "Official GNU Linux" or whatever they want.

6. We recommend that linuxdoc.sgml be used for documentation, as
   this satisfies an FSF request for texinfo (linuxdoc.sgml is an SGML
   that generates texinfo, groff, and HTML).
   We continue to accept any machine-readable documentation format that
   can be rendered using free software tools.

--
Pixar Animation Studios: Reality is not our business.
Pixar's "Toy Story" $184,592,498 domestic, $49 million overseas and counting.