Re: Installation

At 11:04 AM 3/31/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Depending on where this error occured, you could either scrogg your boot
>record or the partition table or both, any of which might lead to the
>errors you later experience. Try repartitioning the drive (maybe even do
>a DOS 'fdisk /mbr' first) and reinstalling without the lilo installation
>and see if it works. (actually you might want to try the fdisk /mbr trick
>first. See if you can reboot with the boot disk on that partition.
>If,not, then continue to the rest...you know what I mean?...)
>
>Later,
>
>Dwarf

You're most definately right!  I re-fdisked (under dos) and formatted the
hdd back to dos and then tried linux again.  Except this time I skipped the
installation of the image/kernel onto the hard drive.  It wouldnt let me
create a boot disk (since it wanted the kernel from the hdd because it
expects that I've done that step) but of boted fro the original bootdisk anyway.

In any case, it mounted fine and now I'm at the linux prompt just about to
install some packages via disk (terrible I know, but still:-)  I wonder
what'll happen when I install the lilo package - will it stuff up and wont
go past that problem I had before?  Who knows...

Oh - one thing I'd like to see (Bruce?) is that if say the 3rd base floppy
stuffs up for some reason that is asks if you want to try the 3rd floppy
again (same for 1 and 2 I suppose) instead of having to do the whole step
again :-)

That's about it.  Still not sure why it stuffs up on that installation of
kernel part however, hopefully that'll be fixed by the time it moves to BETA.

...Karl
--
Karl Ferguson <karl@tower.net.au>                Tel: +61-9-455-3446
                                                 Fax: +61-9-455-2776