1.1 upgrade notes

Bruce has begun pointing requests for information on upgrading to me
(cool, no problem). I have had two requests so far, and have sent the
following to them. Please feel free to point out any glaring errors I may
have made...

I'm still working out details, but here is a copy of what I have put to
paper so far. Please feel free to give feedback :-)

Some notes on installation of the Debian 1.1 Beta Release.

The test bench for the information presented here is a Debian R6
installation. This system is not complex. Aside from the base, network,
development, doc, and selected editors, mailreaders and some odd tools, this
is a very vanilla installation. No cron jobs have been added to the default
configuration provided by the original installation.

Before you begin the upgrade you must have a kernel with built-in ELF
support (NOT in a module). The test bench used the 1.2.13 kernel, custom
compiled with no modules and with ELF support. This should assure those who
can not advance their kernel version that they can still upgrade to Debian
1.1.

GETTING STARTED

Once you have a kernel with built-in ELF support, you first need to upgrade
the base packages. These are the packages that were installed from the three
"base disks" during the original installation of R6. (Unless of course, you
upgraded from a previous version of Debian.)
The following script is intended to indicate the proper order of
installation and removal of the various packages needed for a clean base
upgrade. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO BE USED AS A SCRIPT (although it was tested
as a script and performed a clean upgrade), but if the paths and version
numbers are corrected, you could use it. The intent is to indicate the order
of installation and removal for all packages needed by base.

#!/bin/sh
# base.upgrade
#
# put this file in the binary path of the package tree and execute it
# it will perform an upgrade of an R6 system to 1.1
#
# Pick a package installer
#
dpkg -i base/dpkg-1.1.5.deb
#
dpkg -i base/ld.so-1.7.14-4.deb
#
dpkg -i base/libc5-5.2.18-4.deb
#
dpkg -i base/libdb1-1.85.2-8.deb
dpkg -i base/ncurses3.0-1.9.8a-5.deb
dpkg -i base/bsdutils-2.0-2.deb
dpkg -i base/mbr-1.0.0-2.deb
#
dpkg --purge librl
dpkg -i base/libreadline2-2.0-15.deb
#
dpkg --purge --force-depends ncurses-runtime
dpkg -i base/ncurses-base-1.9.8a-5.deb
#
dpkg --purge tput
dpkg -i base/ncurses-bin-1.9.8a-5.deb
#
dpkg -i misc/dialog*.deb
dpkg -i base/modconf-0.1.0-0.deb
#
dpkg -i --force-conflicts base/libgdbm1-1.7.3-11.deb
dpkg -i doc/man*.deb
#
dpkg -i base/bdflush-1.5-1.deb
dpkg -i base/login-1.0-1.deb
dpkg -i base/getty-1.0-1.deb
dpkg -i base/passwd-1.0-1.deb
dpkg -i base/util-linux-2.5-1.deb
dpkg -i base/debian-utils-1.0-1.deb

dpkg -i base/adduser-1.94-4.deb
dpkg -i base/ae-96.2-2.deb
dpkg -i base/base-1.1.0-2.deb
dpkg -i base/bash-1.14.6-4.deb
dpkg -i base/diff-2.7-10.deb
dpkg -i base/e2fsprogs-1.02-1.deb
dpkg -i base/ed-0.2-11.deb
dpkg -i base/fdflush-1.0.0-2.deb
dpkg -i base/fileutils-3.12-4.deb
dpkg -i base/findutils-4.1-7.deb
dpkg -i base/gawk-3.0.0-2.deb
dpkg -i base/grep-2.0-5.deb
dpkg -i base/gzip-1.2.4-9.deb
dpkg -i base/hostname-1.9-1.deb
dpkg -i base/kbd-0.90-5.deb

dpkg -i base/modules-1.3.69f-1.deb

dpkg -i base/mount-2.5i-2.deb

dpkg -i base/procps-0.99-2.deb
dpkg -i base/sysklogd-1.2-22.deb

dpkg -i base/sed-2.05-6.deb
dpkg -i base/setserial-2.10-8.deb
dpkg -i base/sh-utils-1.12-5.deb
dpkg -i base/syslinux-1.20-0.deb
dpkg -i base/tar-1.11.8-4.deb
dpkg -i base/textutils-1.11-4.deb
dpkg -i base/timezone-7.46-1.deb

dpkg -i base/image-1.3.64-0.deb
#
# If these last two steps do not complete, you may not be able to reboot
#
dpkg -i base/sysvinit-2.60-1.deb

dpkg -i base/lilo-17-2.deb

exit 0

However you upgrade the base packages, either by hand with dpkg as described
above, or using dselect, you will first need to upgrade dpkg.

STEP ONE (1)

Install dpkg-1.1.5aout.deb. Whether or not your system is full ELF yet or
not, this is a good starting point. If you have already ditched your libc4
in favor of libc5 you will need the elf version of dpkg. The advantage of
this version of dpkg in this installation is that it has --force-overwrite
as the default.
During installation the new dpkg will probably notice some problems with the
way the start/stop links are configured for certain daemons, and recommend
that you let it change them. Taking the recommendation created no problems
for the system that resulted from the changes. Use your own judgment on
this. If you have made purposeful modifications in these areas you probably
want to answer no.
Once dpkg has been installed you are ready to choose between the above
script and other uses of dpkg to create an upgraded system, or you can
choose to use dselect and let it manage the conflict resolution for you.

MAKE THE CHOICE

There are a number of reasons why you might choose to upgrade your system by
hand. Rather than list the many that I can think of, I leave it up to you to
determine your reasons for doing the upgrade by hand. Once you have decided
what your reasons are for taking this path, refer to those reasons often
during the rest of the installation.

If you choose to go the "by hand" route work through the above listing, then
work through the devel section, then pick a target and go for it...

If you choose to use dselect, be prepared to read every help screen very
very closely. The information you need is usually there, but sometimes you
may not realize it at the time. If you are an experienced dselect user you
will not find much of interest in the following material and should go ahead
and begin your upgrade.

CON FILE DECISIONS

There are quite a few con files in the base packages. During installation
you will be asked about installing new ones from the new packages, over the
old ones now on your system.
Whether or not you choose the new files over the old is mostly dependent on
whether your version has been edited to some custom configuration. You have
two choices here. Either say no to these files, or, back up your versions of
these files before you allow the new package to overwrite it. Then, after
the installation, you can go compare your old file with the new one and
integrate your changes in the proper place.
For the following files, you will most likely not wish to overwrite these
with new ones: /etc/group, /etc/passwd, /etc/inittab, and /etc/lilo.conf.
One the other hand, if you haven't made any changes to /etc/init.d/boot, you
will most likely want to replace your old file with the new one. The rest of
these files should be judged by the above criterion before you overwrite
them.

USING DSELECT

The primary intent of dselect is to do a full installation. For this to work
properly you MUST have a complete and clean binary archive. Several packages
in the free portion of the distribution recommend packages in non-free.
Without this portion of the tree dselect will die with a partial
installation. More important than that, this is a BETA release! There may
still be packages that break during installation from internal errors, or
because they demand unsatisfiable preconditions (example: libc5-dev-5.2.18-2
requires libc5 (=5.2.18-2). If you have libc5-5.2.18-4, which should
function properly, it will not install)
For the above reasons, I do NOT recommend upgrading via a full installation.
As it is the most crucial phase, I have focused most of my effort on
upgrading the base packages. Getting these packages installed properly is
crucial to the proper operation of your new system. For that reason I
suggest you do these by hand. However, we are using dselect in this section,
and it can be forced to do this job. If you have chosen to use dselect you
do not want to do the base installation by hand because, further dselect
installation will try, unsuccessfully, to rearrange the base installation. If
you do the base installation with dselect, further dselect installations
will proceed more successfully.

INSTALLING THE BASE PACKAGES WITH DSELECT

OK, you have installed the new dpkg. Now run dselect, choose an Access
method, update the packages list, and choose Select Packages.
After the intro help screen, you will be presented with the selection
window. The 'cursor' is over the section; All Packages. The first thing you
want to do is deselect all packages, so press the '-' (minus) key. The
screen will switch (with an introductory help screen) to the depends screen.
Accept these by pressing enter and dselect will return you to the selection
screen. We have now informed dselect that we are not doing a full install.
Now, use the arrow keys to move the cursor down the list to "Required Base
Packages" and press the '+' (plus) key. Again you will end up at a depends
screen. Dselect will properly identify the two outdated packages (tput and
last), so you can simply press enter here, returning to the selection
screen. This completes the selection process and enter will get back to the
main menu. Select "Install selected packages" and the installation will
proceed. Refer to the previous sections for information on how to answer the
con file questions that will arise during this installation.

More will follow,

Dwarf