Re: What's the current policy for uploading packages?

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Carl V Streeter wrote:

> Most of this should be in the guidelines.  Look in doc/package-developer
> or so on the FTP site.

The problem with this is that the info in both the guidelines and the FTP
site:
	1) Is incomplete
	2) Is obsolete
	3) Is scattered in many files
	4) Is wrong in many cases
	5) points to old or nonexistent pointers.
	6) lacks a concise summary of the step-by-step procedure

That is why I asked, after checking the available info. And that is why I
made the offer to write something if you help me fill the gaps.

I was thinking of something which followed this scheme:

Steps to upload a package
-------------------------

1) Build the package as explained in the Guidelines
2) Run dchanges on it and PGP-sign it.
3) Upload it to your account in [new-]master.debian.org
Contact Bruce or Simon if you don't have an account there. (right?)
4) Move the files to /home/Debian/ftp/private/project/Incoming
5) announce it in debian-changes (or whatever)
6) wait for the bug reports

Summary of available fields in Control files
Mandatory
	Package, maintainer, description, version, architecture(new!)
Optional
	source, depends, pre-depends(new one!),....
obsolete
	revision,...

Format of version numbers
-------------------------
Sorry, I lost thrack of that...

How to validate your PGP signature
----------------------------------
No idea.

Current available sections
--------------------------
base, misc, net, mail....

current virutal packages

current contact people

Well, I hope you got the idea. If you think this would be useful I could
try to fill the gaps, and I could add another cheat-sheet about how to
build a package. The guidelines should be the official reference but
something shorter could be very handy. What do you think?

Thanks,
	Fernando Alegre