Re: FSF negociations

> I need a poll on how positive or negative you guys are on these FSF requests:
>
> 1. Install 100% unstripped executables on the hard disk.

No.  I could live with them unstripped in the package and having them
stripped (or not) during install, though.  Considering all the hastle people
have given over downloading packages, though, they might have a problem with
the latter.

> 2. Install source code on the hard disk whenever the binary package is
>    installed.

Absolutely not!  I don't have that much disk space.

> 3. Make X-Windows, Emacs, and VI standard, not optional, parts of the system.

Nope.  If that were the case, 2 of our 4 machines (486's, 8MB ram) wouldn't
be useable.  One of them only had 60MB disk until recently.

My vote:  100% thumbs down!

If this were the case, Debian would become a "hacker" system.  No simple
user would choose it over one of the leaner distributions.

What is the FSF offering that is worth all this trouble?

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )