Re: FSF negociations

Although this has sort of come and gone I want to make a couple of
points (especially about core files - people seem to working under the
wrong assumptions).

Bruce Perens writes:

>I need a poll on how positive or negative you guys are on these FSF requests:
>
>1. Install 100% unstripped executables on the hard disk.

Several people have said that you need an unstripped executable to
produce a useful core file.  I believe this is incorrect.  If you have
the unstripped exectuable that was then stripped you can use the core
file.  I believe that Ian J said he kept old unstripped dpkg
executables so he could use core files sent by users.

So it might be useful to have a set of matching unstripped executables
on the ftp site (cdrom) so people could get them if required. (Not
sure how to package them - perhaps binary pacakges that unpack to
method of getting them for a particular package).

>2. Install source code on the hard disk whenever the binary package is
>   installed.

Ug, I have 1.3G - but not enough space.

Someone else also made the assumption that source package is smaller
than the binary packages - this is rarely true.

However after getting 1.1 out another good step would be an enchanced
source package system - that would install sources in a standard tree
so a top level "make" or "make stripped" or "make alpha" would produce
a debian distribution tree of the correct format.

>3. Make X-Windows, Emacs, and VI standard, not optional, parts of the system.

Can't see the point - I want xemacs not vi or emacs (which would
really upset RMS).

Andy.