RE: Debian's New Goal

Hi "Brian C. White";  On 26-Apr-96 you wrote:
> > It is my opinion that the new objective is not a good one...
>
> 1) OS Distributions (like the operating systems themselves) can be a very
> personal thing.  Many people will fight to stay with what they have even
> though everyone else has abandoned it.  Thus, I think you will have
> tremendous problems trying to convert everyone over to "Base".  I think
> you're more likely to get flamed than to get support.

You are probably right.

> 2) Describing Debian as a "Base System" makes it sound incomplete and unable
> to stand on it's own.  Because of that, new users are likely to avoid it like
> the plague.  Debian's user base will slowly fade.

Agree.

> 3) Package developers will start writing for other distributions.  Debian
> won't be installed on their machines (since it is only a base system) and
> any fact about Debian being in there somewhere will be unconsidered when
> they show their efforts to the world.  The base will get smaller and smaller.

Maybe?

> 4) End vendors cannot win.  By using the same base system as others,
> they lose all differentiation.  Packages can move seemlessly between all
> distributions (based on Debian, that is).  Any work they put in will
> go unrecognized as it just flows around.  They become nothing but a
> middle man putting a wrapper around what others have made.

Probably.

> People do work on Linux for various reasons:
>  - they make money selling CDs
>  - they enjoy making/supporting a product that others use
>  - they want to show off their abilities
>  - they want to do something better than it has been done before.
>
> It doesn't matter which of the above (or any combination) reasons a
> distributor has, basing their work on others severely limits their
> personal rewards.  Thus they will avoid doing so.

This is stretching it a bit.  We ALL base our work on that of others.
Only when a base package is not certain/stable/available does it make a
developer nervous; no source, no support, broken and too complex to mend...

> In addition, I think users of any distribution but Debian would find that
> release notice extremely arrogant.  To play the devil's advocate:  "Just
> who the hell do you think you are to assume that your system is the best
> and we should all start using it?"

Isn't exactly that what made us all so happy with Mr. Stallman?

> I think the best way to proceed is much as you have been (though at a
> faster pace).  Make a solid and full distribution.  Encourage specialty
> distributions to derive from Debian.  Talk with other distributors and
> try to merge where possible.  The primary focus, though, needs to be
> a complete and solid distribution that stands on its own.

Right.

> That's gotta be at least $.09...

$0.0901

Sincerely Yours,           (Sent on 04/25/96, 18:42:17 by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro
Director of Technology     i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
Shimon@i-Connect.Net       13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140 Beaverton OR 97008