Re: an appreciably toned-down and much less arrogant and grandiose draft

The wording is better, but the idea is still the same.  I stated
my reasons before, so I won't repeat them.  I think the goal of being
a "base system" is a poor one.  It is my belief that Debian should
have the goal of being the best _distribution_ available.

> A: The system is as good as the most professional Linux distributions.
> We consider Red Hat to be the best other than us, we like them and talk
> to them reasonably often, and we think we're comparable to their
> system. One major difference between us and Red Hat is that Red Hat is
> a for-profit business, and Debian is a non-profit organization. Both
> distributions share a dedication to free software. We hope to work
> together with other Linux developers such as Red Hat rather than compete
> with them.

Any comparisons to other distributions are likely to get you flamed to
a crisp.  The message I get from this is "Red Had is a close second but
all the others are pale comparisons."

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )